Statement of Principles and Code of Ethics*
College Track conducts its mission within the highest standards of ethical behavior, exceeding the standards required by law. As a nonprofit public benefit corporation organized under the California Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation Law for charitable purposes, College Track adheres to the principles stated below. All of these principles provide a foundation for the Code of Ethics that follows.
College Track’s Nine Principles
College Track’s Code of Ethics integrates the following principles:
1. Putting our student’s well-being and success first
2. Commitment to excellence
3. Commitment to maintaining ethical standards
4. Respect for the worth and dignity of individuals
5. Inclusiveness, pluralism, diversity, equality of opportunity, and social justice
6. Transparency, integrity and honesty
7. Responsible stewardship of resources
9. Accountability to the public, donors, beneficiaries and all stakeholders
Code of Ethics
I. Personal and Professional Integrity
All stakeholders in College Track (students and families, staff, board members, volunteers, suppliers and others interacting with the organization) act with honesty, integrity and openness. College Track promotes a working environment that principles respect, fairness and integrity.
College Track has a clearly stated mission and purpose, approved by the board of directors, in pursuit of the public good as follows: Empower students from underserved communities to graduate from college.
All of its programs support that mission and all who work for or on behalf of the organization understand and prioritize that mission and purpose. The mission is responsive to the constituency and communities served by the organization and of value to society at large. The mission rests on a foundational goal of empowering others.
College Track’s Board of Directors sets the mission and strategic direction and hires, dismisses and regularly evaluates performance of the chief executive officer. The Board of Directors prudently oversees its finances, operations, executive compensation,and policies (including conflicts of interest or potential conflicts of interest). The Board of Directors also
• Recruits members who have the requisite skills to carry out their governance responsibilities for the benefit of College Track
• Engages the chief executive officer and staff to provide the Board of Directors with timely and comprehensive information to carry out its duties effectively
• Implements practices to verify with senior management that College Track conducts all transactions and dealings with integrity and honesty and in accordance with this Code
• Adopts policies (officially and in writing) and promotes a working environment requiring working relationships with board members, staff, volunteers, and program beneficiaries that are based on this Code
IV. Legal Compliance
College Track is knowledgeable of and complies with all applicable laws and regulations.
V. Fundraising and Responsible Stewardship
College Track thoughtfully stewards its donors, resources and other relationships. College Track expends funds responsibly and consistently with donor intent and respects the privacy and confidentiality of individual donors as appropriate. College Track also
• Implements policies and practices requiring all relationships with individuals representing College Track to be professional in nature
• Spends a reasonable percentage of its annual budget on: mission-related programs; administrative expenses to ensure effective financial oversight, competent staff, and professional advising; and reasonable and appropriate staff compensation
• Regularly reviews all spending practices and policies (including those relating to fundraising) for fairness, reasonableness and appropriateness to fulfilling its mission.
VI. Openness and Disclosure
College Track strives to provide comprehensive and timely information that is accurate in all material respects to the public, donors and potential donors, the media,
and all stakeholders. College Track strives to respond in a timely manner to reasonable requests for information.
VII. Inclusiveness and Diversity
College Track has a policy of promoting inclusiveness and diversity. College Track takes meaningful steps to promote inclusiveness and diversity in its hiring, retention, promotion, board recruitment and constituencies served.
VIII. Listening and Speaking Up
College Track prioritizes listening to others and promotes an environment conducive to free expression of diverse and dissenting points of view. Based in large part on the Independent Sector Model Statement of Values and Code of Ethics for Nonprofit and Philanthropic Organizations.
*Based in large part on the Independent Sector Model Statement of Values and Code of Ethics for Nonprofit and Philanthropic Organizations.